Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Open Question: Which teacher should I choose?

I'm really stuck. I've taken a liking to 2 music theory teachers. I actually learned with one b4. She got me through all the music theory required in Canada w/ fairly good marks. My situation is I want to learn how to teach music theory in a short amount of time. I've already gone through 5 courses & I write pop & classical music. I just want to know how to TEACH those 5 courses. All I want is to know "why something is" and if I forgot, "how do I do it". I think I can learn what I need 3-5. I don't want to take too long because I want to work on a diploma in theory. The female teacher says I shouldn't give myself a time limit. Just see how much I can do. She also suggests against doing the diploma b/c it's a waste of time. She herself didn't get her PhD thesis approved (tho I understand) and that's why she says diplomas are a waste of time. But I want one b/c ppl will choose u when they know you have a diploma, rahter than you just "learned how to do it". You actually have to go through many exams & prove yourself! As a person who has taken a diploma, I think there's a huge difference between just "learning it" and actually trying for a diploma. The male teacher has a PhD and he says he can get me thru the 5 courses in 12 weeks. He's ok w/ me doing the diploma; he says it'll take 2 years. He also charges more but he lives closer. I talked to him much longer and he also believes in "lesson plans" and seems to teach difficult concepts to kids very well (using analogies). I didn't get to talk to the female but she's got tons more experience than he does and I know she must have developed some tricks along the way. What should I do? I know this is really long. Thanks for reading & commenting tho!! By the way, I post this here b/c I think music diplomas are way different than other academic diplomas.

No comments: