Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Open Question: Help! Xmas gift for 20yo boyfriend?

Hey, everyone! I've been dating my boyfriend for the past three years but this Christmas I just can't figure out what to get him...so here are some parameters I have set in place to help you give me the great suggestions I know you all have!! :-) 1) My total budget for gifts is between $100-120. Our anniversary was just a couple of months ago, so I don't want to spend a whole lot more than this. We never discuss what we spend on each other, but I would estimate it's usually around $100. 2) Please don't offer "sex" as an option. 3) We're both in college together in the Midwest. He's going into engineering and loves to ski (he has enough ski stuff, though, and it's not my area of expertise...). He loves to read, usually fantasy or thrillers, but good "guy" books would work, too. I usually have trouble finding him something he hasn't read, so any suggestions would be well received! 4) His family is far more wealthy than mine, so I usually have difficulty finding the appropriate gift because he usually already has it! That being said, I want to give him something he'll find interesting without breaking my bank. He would never expect or want me to drop a ton on him, but I want to get him something nice that he'll appreciate. 5) I usually get him one smaller, less expensive gift for fun and then one gift is more expensive and more...special--the main event, so to speak. 6) He owns a Zune (vs. an iPod...he detests my Mac) and favors the PC line of things. 7) He's not a techie, but he loves building things--think engineering, chemistry, physics, and LEGOS. Mythbusters, Top Chef, and Scrubs are his favorite shows. 8) As far as his music taste goes, it varies. He likes classic rock, classical music, and jazz. Past gifts: Watch Swiss Army knife Quilt (My mom and I made it...it was fun and good for his dorm room) Cool framed art Magazine Subscription (Scientific American...his family gets Pop Sci) Contemporary Lamp (I should've bought one for myself) Various cds or movies we've seen together Shirts/sweaters We bought a Wii together this summer, and so far we only have Mario Party 8 and the Wii Sports one. His family has WiiFit, and although I think that would be fun, I don't think it'd be a very original or special xmas gift. But if you have any game suggestions, I'll take them. So far I've ordered him a Monty Python boxed set for roughly $40, but I don't want that to be the "main" gift. It's more for fun b/c I personally don't care for MP....he does though. ;-) The only ideas I have (and this sounds lame...) but I know he hates the pillow he has at school, so I was thinking of getting him a nicer pillow like the one I have, the 2 in 1 kind with a fluffy side and a thick padded side. But that doesn't seem v. exciting. He also only offered me the suggestion of books. So I clearly need your help! Think about the men in your life, or if you are a man, think about what you would want materially (*ahem*) for Christmas. Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it.

No comments: