Thursday, December 4, 2008

Open Question: I'm a freshman in high school. I want to major in Music. help!?

Hello. I'm a fresh(wo)man in high school. I play electric guitar and classical/jazz piano. I love classical, jazz, rock, and metal music. My dream has been to have a metal band, but everyone dreams of that, don't they? I've played piano for 7 years, and guitar for 1 year, but I'm pretty good on the guitar (for only a year of learning) since I practice a lot and started out as self taught. I want to major in Music, and I don't know where to start with anything. I want to go to music college right out of high school. What should I be focusing on? I am trying to advance my improvization skills on the guitar and memorization skills on the piano. I'm also trying to compose some of my own stuff. I want to stay on the west coast. I'm not sure what aspect(s) of Music I want to major in. I am thinking Music Therapy or Recording. I would love to perform, but I'm not sure if I'd be good enough. I also have wanted to be a therapist for awhile, since i'm good at talking with people and I would love to help people emotionally, so that's why I'm thinking music therapy is my path. Does anyone major in music therapy? I want to start preparing now, since i know music colleges are competitive. What skills do I need for music therapy, and to be a good hire-able musician? i want to be hire-able as a side job. I need some guidance! Is there anywhere I can learn more about music therapy? I'm browsing through the wikipedia article now.

No comments: