Thursday, November 27, 2008

Open Question: do i have talent in music?

first question, what is (or constitute) "talents" in music? secondly, if i can play music by ear (my teacher & many people have often told me that i have "absolute pitch" ear, meaning i can immediately play any kind of song only after one or two hears) , and also i can compose, and when i compose, i usually will already have perfect arrangements down to the little detail , and also my compositions is in various genre, such as: pop, rock, metal, jazz, video-game, and also symphonic/orchestral pieces , could i be considered musically talented? also, although i've been clasically trained about 6-years in piano, but i learn compositions, arrangings, and also other musical instruments: guitar, drum, bass by myself. and i often got 'lost' in my imaginations, sometimes when i see things, i can immediately just come up with beautiful or intense (depending on the situation) music on my own. but i kinda suck at practical daily-life things. i know many people seems to say that i'm really musically talented,.but sometimes i just second-guess myself, or maybe have low self-esteem, maybe because my parents often scorn me whenever i'm thinking about music career. my dad even often told me that I am NOT talented, and not that great. so stop thinking about making career in music. instead, just focus in career in business (and i just dislike it). it really made me down & and thinking that maybe my parents are right, that i'm not that talented, or even it's not talent (my dad often said to me that "it's because you have practiced piano really hard for 6 years, that's why you can get that. anybody who've practiced as hard as you would also be able to do like you did, so nothing special. stop dreaming about musical career") do you think that i'm not necessarily 'talented' , and it's only the result of 6-years classical piano i had when i was in primary school ? or indeed i have talent in music ?

No comments: