Monday, November 24, 2008

Open Question: Jazzers please help me!!! Chord analysis of Charlie Parker's solo in Yardbird Suite?

I'm just starting jazz so I don't understand all this stuff. (I have a classical music background tho so I understand all the chord notations and what they mean, ex: Emi75b.) I looked it up online and I found this site: http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=29866 This is basically what they said: "C/Ab7/C Bb/A7/D7/G7/C Ed/D-7 G7/ for the first A section, with the last three chords at the second ending, the second A section, as /G7/C/F#-7 B7/. B section is /E-7/B7/E-7/A7/D-7/A7/D7/G/. Last A section is /C/Ab7/C Bb7/A7/D7/G7/C/C/. As I play it on the piano this sounds right to me, and this is what you would solo on, the whole thing. A-A-B-A." Then someone else said: "I'm not so sure about that Ab7 ..every time I've either or played it ( or one of two charts I've written on it ) I preferred: ||: C /Fmi11 Bb 75b / Emi75b Bb7add13 /A9 / C/D D9 /Dmi 7 G79b || : ( 1. ) C A7 / Dmi G7 :|| ||: (2) C /F#mi5b B7 || ..and then the bridge basically as you have it, except the first 4 .. Emi6 /F#mi5b B7 / Emi7 / A7" I need just the chords for the first sax solo in the song (I'm assuming it's Charlie Parker's solo, because it's the longest solo, 32 bars). Right after this solo there's a trumpet solo I think. I don't understand what they said on that website. I don't understand where they're starting from.... I don't have a fake book either. Basically my question is, which ones are the chords for the first 32-bar solo (which I am assuming is Charlie Parker's)??? Also I'm assuming each / means a bar line, and that it's the next measure. Right? Which parts are they talking about with the A A B A thing? Which part is the bridge? So confused!!! Help!!!

No comments: