Thursday, November 27, 2008

Open Question: I don't know how to feel about the death of death metal?

I've been listening to nothing but metal since I was about 16, and as I write this I'm 20. Before I bought that first number of the beast CD I had absolutely no musical interests whatsoever. Before I discovered metal I just thought I wasn't interested I guess. It's been 4 years now, with it being death metal nonstop for the last two, dabbling in other types of metal, but nothing else really, and as unpopular as death metal is (here's looking at you ladies) it all made sense until today... Quite a few hours ago I was listening to my roommates Rap though the wall (again), and I ended up posting my face book status as "Jeff has decided that real music has guitars and talent and stuff" A few hours after my friend commented "what else do you listen to I've always wondered", and I was taken aback as after having to listen to a million other types music on the radio and peoples cars and whatnot, I really didn't have an answer. I listen to music for pleasure but, I never really liked anything else I've tried to branch out a couple times (Elton John, Jazz, Neo folk, Bing Crosby) but I never cared enough to stick with anything before today For some reason today, my friends question prompted my to try and see what would happen if I put Classical Music for metal heads into google. For the last 8 hours (I've had too much homework to leave the house) I've been in complete awe. This stuff is freaking terrifying, Its been years since music has had so much power over me. It starting to seem like metal was just screaming at you to be afraid, whereas classical just shows you without patronizing, kinda like Hemingway if that makes sense. Not only that but the tranquil beauty is just a mesmerizing as the myriad highs and lows, without being boring like other "chill" music. Fascinating stuff that makes me fear for my future, it kinda feels like death metal which was such a huge part of my life for so many years is passing into oblivion, as I listen for music not for something to identify with how angry I am, but instead to listen to the wide arrangement of emotions that accompanies beauty. I dunno nothing makes sense anymore, It feels like the end although the reasons I started listening to metal (no luck with the ladies) are still there. I know I'm passing even further away from pop culture with this "choice" people are going to think I'm a pretentious bastard, which isn't true. Listening to metal to make me feel a certain emotion instead of letting emotions sweep over me, was far more pretentious then classical ever was. How, can I address the start of what seems to be a new path in my life, I'm terrified.... Or you know it might just be a one day thing

No comments: