Sunday, November 9, 2008

Voting Question: Would I stand a chance getting accepted at these top universities?

I wish to study business and by that I want to go to the best undergraduate business schools... I'm 17 yrs. old, a senior in high school and I live in South Texas. I'm also a Mexican national with dual citizenship in Mexico and the U.S. I reside in Texas. I come from a low middle-class family that has been greatly suffering the repercussions of the financial crisis our great nation is in! Some facts: my GPA is around 3.7 - 4.0 currently im ranked 41 out of 479 students in my class = top 8.5% I'm enrolled in AP English IV, AP Macroeconomics, AP U.S. Government, AP Biology, CP PreCalculus, French III..etc Last year I took AP U.S. History, and AP English III aside of Physics PreAP and Algebra II CP I got a 1500 on the SAT the first time I took it :[ 550 english, 550 writing, 400 math :// I took the ACT and thats bad..20. I recently took the SAT Subject Test in French, Literature, and Math Level 1..I haven't received the scores yet. I know i suck at math :[ and thats my biggest weakness and what makes me less likely to get into a good school :[ I'm President of the World Club (foreign language-volunteer club) I'm Vice-President of U.I.L at my school I'm Historian for NHS (National Honors Society) I volunteer at the hospital every other tuesday I also volunteer in NHS events (cancer walk, trunk or treat, etc) I've served at my church for many years. I've been part of the worship team for a long time playing the drums. I also taught children classes at some points in time. I consistently volunteer to help clean-up the church on "clean-up" days. I've been in band for four years and I've marched in the band for three years. My teachers label me charismatic, "smart", outstanding, a leader..among other things. I'm the kind of person who might not be smart on the outside but in the inside i consider myself "good-enough." I have vision, determination, i dream big, i work hard, i don't conform with mediocre people (the majority at my school). I want to be someone who will impact society and who will become a succesfull business man (entreprenuer)!!! I'm extremely fond of jazz, classical music, figures of the past; marlon brando, miles davis, ella fitzgerald, julie london... I love to travel, its my passion! I love photography. I always feel like i'm seperated from the rest of the people at my school. I enjoy the more refined things in life. I'm very open-minded, culturally open. I enjoy challenges! The colleges I've been considering include Cornell University, University of Pennsylvania, New York University, Carnegie Mellon University, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Texas at Austin, University of Notre Dame, University of Virginia, and Univeristy of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. These are so far the ones that I'm for sure applying to. They have some of the best business programs for undergraduates. Should I consider other schools? Are these out of reach for me? Any alternatives? Am I just being a "big-dreamer" and should I just consider easier alternatives, "within reach"? Please be honest...

No comments: