Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Open Question: Do you think Berklee is right for me?

I'm 14 years old and I've been playing guitar for about 3 years. I have an 87% average in advanced classes I'm my high school. I am taking advanced music class and and planning to continue doing so. I've been into rock and blues from the beginning but have currently expanded my listening from classical like Chopin to some jazz and big band. My dad got me into Miles Davis and some Charlie Parker. He went to Humbar in Toronto and graduated as a piano/ keyboard player so he explained to me that it isn't easy and I understand that, music is the only thing I want to do. I was thinking about session playing so I could focus on playing tightly because up until recently I've been sort of sloppy. I think I need a little more knowledge before I start songwriting but I have a good ear and stuff comes naturally to me. I can read fluently in bass and treble cleff, i've played baritone and trumpet since gr. 5. I heard It's real tough to get in and it requires extreme commitment, talent, money and money. I'm working on the money thing I've been working steadily all year at a grocery store... Anyways I just want to be sure if I even have a chance or it's too late and I should already be playing like Jimmy Page himself... please help. I was also thinking about sound engineering, I already have some experience recording with my dad's friends and now how to set up a good recording and how to master it so that sounds fun too. Inostoopid22 i wasnt refering to berkley in california... I was talking about bostons conservatory for music.. Thank you for the answers

No comments: