Friday, January 9, 2009

Open Question: Will you read REED my essay please?

if you have a moment, tell me whether you think this is corny, unfocused, or too much. let me know if i should edit it or replace it. Let me introduce myself to you, Reed. My name is Ashton. My hair is a rich chocolate brown, auburn in the light. It is straight, but curly in the rain. My skin is light olive, and my eyes chocolate with a hint of chestnut. My eyelids are a pale mocha, and I blush in rose. My body is graceful, but not fragile. I can withstand a fair amount of pain. I wonder often, and wander often. I am perceptive and self-indulgent. I often laugh at myself. Music is my motivation. God is my savior. Nature is my relief. “Life is strange and changeful, and the crystal is in the steel at the point of fracture, and the toad bears a jewel in its forehead, and the meaning of moments passes like the breeze that scarcely ruffles the leaves of a willow.” If you pay attention to the days, those days will pass right by you. You have to see the moments. You have to pay close attention, because that is what life is. Life is the subtle twitches behind our smiles, the tone of our voices, and the way the rain makes us remember things. Life is actually very easy to overlook. Reed is more than academic. It is a place where I can truly see life, because of the type of people who are there to share it with me. How did I find Reed? To be completely honest, I had not even heard about Reed until a little over a month before my application was due, but I didn’t need much time to analyze. I fell in love with Reed from the day I discovered it, all thanks to my philosophy teacher. Having a class full of International Baccalaureate seniors, he felt the need to reveal to us that we had to reach further and deeper than Atlanta’s favorite “SEC schools” to find colleges that matched our personalities. That night, I first came across Reed in a student video on youtube. The students had a lot of personality, but they seemed obviously intellectually stimulated as well: my kind of people, I thought instantly. Hours later, I was still reading blogs, reviews, and stories, looking at pictures, and watching videos, all regarding my newfound discovery. Immediately, I felt at home. The unique social atmosphere seemed a perfect fit. My new Reedie friends described their school as intellectual, unique, personal, romantic, academically diverse, and of course “ABSOLUTELY AMAZING” (in all capitals). This is everything I am looking for in a school. I would definitely say I am rather classic; I spend a lot of my free time with Debussy, Kierkegaard, and Shakespeare. Even so, I also have another bottomless interest in medicine and biology: the television programs I do watch are entitled with phrases like “Synaesthetes” or “Medical Mysteries”. The intricate complexity of the human body and the human mind never ceases to amaze me. Also, the classical curriculum offered at Reed is so genuinely exciting to me, it will hardly feel like schoolwork at all, rather, it will be an exploration. The intellectually stimulating programs Reed offers in Philosophy and Biology will be a great support to my already present thirst for knowledge. One thing I especially love about Reed is the student body’s genuine interest and passion for academics. By surrounding myself with that caliber of people, my passion will not only augment, but spread as far as I go in life. Working alongside those diligent students will bring out the best of my abilities. As far as my future is concerned, Reed’s programs for pre-med students are a more than perfect support for my goals towards medical school. With Reed producing so many future PhDs, the programs are an obvious success. As I have said before, Reed is much more than just a school. It is a place where I can experience life, and find things nestled there that I would have never otherwise discovered. It is Why is Reed the place for you? the audience is the admissions counselors. It is in Portland, Oregon

No comments: