Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Open Question: Maria Callas, Leontyne Price, Birgit Nilsson, Pavarotti etc... a thing of the past?

Hi everyone. Sorry, this question may be too long. I have a question that has been hanging around in my mind for some time now. Perhaps this question has been asked before. I wanna ask if you think the great singers of the opera heyday, such as Maria Callas, Joan Sutherland, Leontyne Price, Birgit Nilsson, Kirsten Flagstad, Marian Anderson, Pavarotti etc, are all really just a thing of the past & that there will be no singers today who can achieve the same quality & legendary status like them? It's interesting to notice that many opera lovers often say how they miss the great singers of the old age, citing that there will be no more talents like them today. And I often hear complaints regarding the opera world today which tends to focus more on external looks rather than talents, thus we see less and less talents on the opera stage, replaced by average/mediocre singers in first rate bodies. I personally believe that there are a lot of singers today whose talents can match those legendary singers. Eventhough Callas-Sutherland-Pavarotti-Price-etc are all amazing talents that should be placed in a special class by themselves, I don’t necessarily think they are THE ONLY singers who have that special talent. I’m sure there are many singers out there who are just as good as them, but they rarely/never get to perform because of their looks. But what I want to ask is this: do you think we can ever have (again) that “opera heyday” in the modern world, with great singers whose talents equally match those singers of the past? Do you think the pendulum will swing back in favour of these amaing-but-less-attractive singers? Or do you personally believe that the “opera golden years” have officially OVER for good, and that modern opera world will never ever achieve the same glorious days like in the past? Tell me what you think! And thanks in advance. =) p.s. sorry for my lack of knowledge. I’m still relatively new to opera.

No comments: